Friday, October 15, 2010

Watching with Thee




"Then saith He unto them, 'My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death:  tarry ye here, and watch with me. '   ...And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, 'What, could ye not watch with me one hour?'"  Matthew 26:38,40





Lord, today I see my grief
as a loving gift from you.
A welcoming call to share your travail.
A partnership I won't rue.

When I ache and long and pray
for those that have gone away
I am crying along with you, my God,
for my wayward ones gone astray.

Is this the way you feel, my Lord,
About all your children dear?
Who have left the fold and followed the world
And want You no longer near.

What would it be to see, O God
Never to turn away;
To know all the pain, the filth, the sin;
Watching the world night and day.

Mercifully my little stage, O Lord
Can only play my small life
I can't imagine what you must feel
Carrying the whole world's strife.

Lord that you welcome me to join
Taking me by the hand
Ask me to watch and pray awhile
Gladly I will stand.

How could I do any less, my Friend
You've already made the way.
Grief a gift to help keep me awake,
Gratefully I will pray.
                                           --Patti Lofgren

No comments:

Post a Comment